Tuesday 1 February 2011

A movie of thoughts....

Over Christmas Paul and I recorded the film Mr Majoricum's Wonder Emporium mostly for the children because I liked the sound of the title and a little bit of the bumph, I mean what is not to like about a magical toy store?

Well we sat down to watch it and the girls just weren't interested but it absolutely captivated me. It tells such an important lesson. It tells me that death shouldn't be about mourning the loss of someone but celebrating the life of them. Something I have always believed anyway really but this film expresses it in such a wonderfully tangible way. It describes our lives as a story, and how when one ends another begins and that is such a perfect way of looking at things. No story can last forever and we should make our story the most wonderful one we can imagine.

There are quotes in this movie that I would love to have read at my funeral. Not in a morbid way but because it totally inspires me to make my story as wonderful as possible. This is, I think, my favourite quote:

 When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written "He dies." That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is "He dies." It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with "He dies." And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words "He dies." but because of the life we saw prior to the words. I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest "He died." 


Isn't that a wonderful way to look at life and death?

2 comments:

Jo B said...

Love it. Must watch it! X

Anonymous said...

We watched this when it was on and it was fab, I loved that quote too.

(Daisy78 - I couldn't log in to my account)