Tuesday 8 January 2013

A Jonah Day.

I confess I have been listening to Anne of Green Gables a bit and this phrase has stuck with me to describe a Bad Day. I have a serious case of the New Year Blues.

Firstly I am exhausted after 2 weeks of full time children. One of whom has been whizzy from day 1 of the holiday until they went back to school. She needs so much management at the moment to keep her on an even keel, especially alongside all the Christmas Excitement which disrupts her sense of normalcy. I don't think she has actually stopped talking for more than 10 minutes at a time and, of course, everything she says is of the utmost importance. We are still, well I guess the word is grieving too. We knew she was Autistic but it is a whole different ball game with other people telling you so. Now instead of thinking "are we imagining it" we are thinking "I wish it wasn't her". I love Phoebe with all my heart but it is horrible to think that she is always going to be a bit odd. It is horrible to think that she will have to fight that little bit harder to walk the same path as everyone else. I have heard a lot of "but it doesn't change her" since the diagnosis and no, it doesn't but it doesn't make it any less of a bitter pill for us to swallow.

Secondly I accidentally upset a friend when I wouldn't have done it intentionally for the world. I am so unable to let this go that I have been berating myself for my stupidity. Because of previous friendships my brain automatically goes to the worst case scenario in which I am culled forever. Plus all this beating myself up is more exhaustion.

One of the Dad's at the school drop off was rude to me this morning over something stupid. I bolted back to my car and cried. I am glad that I made it back to the car before the tears because that would have been mortifying.

Then this evening I accidentally parked in front of a garage. I really truly didn't see it (and they didn't have a dropped curb) but I got back to my car to a delightful passive agressive note. More yay.

I am just waiting now for the sausages to defrost so I can cook a fry up for my beloved as it is his birthday and then I am going to go to bed and hope things are better in the morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vix,
OK - this is going to sound a little crazy but I am hoping you are going to help me.
I saw a photo on your Flickr account. It is your very cute little Phoebe with a camel hat on.
I am in Australia and a mum of three little boys and i was crazy enogh to volunteer to help with making costumes for our end of year concert. we are dressing 120 kids for the Christmas pageant! We are doing a traditional nativity play with lots of animals - some of them being camels!
A long shot i know, but, do you still have that hat? I have been trying to figure out a pattern from what i can see in that photo and I think I am pretty close.....
If you don't think I am too crazy could you email me? I just would love a few more photos

Thanks in advance
Michelle - promise I am not normally this nutty!!!!
Hopefully talk to you soon?

the.winsons@bigpond.com.au

Vix said...

Alas that picture is about 5yrs old and we don't have the hat anymore. Sorry!